Friday, January 21, 2011

Assignment 3 - A Reality Mash-Up

The Proposal

My final assignment is proposing a Photogrammetry/Augmented Reality Mash‐Up that utilises all of the skills that I have developed in this course so far. In this project, I am going to choose an architecture of interest, photogrametrically reconstruct the architecture (using modelling skills to help to refine your model to the most efficient printing arrangement), alter the model so that I am able to get a 3D print of my model. Using that as a basis for my project I will then go through the design process, “designing” my Architectural Intervention on my chosen architecture, and developing a range of iterative design possibilities that can be tested against my 3D printed model using Augmented Reality.

Currently I am thinking about using the 'Christ The Redeemer' statue in Rio de Janeiro Brazil, as a sculptural piece in which I want to create an architectural form or space which it can be placed and displayed in. It will be the creation of mini galleries in which it could be displayed in. I am going to try and focus on lighting and shadows to highlight sculptural aspects. The scale of the object may vary according to the particular architectural space or form. I then want to place this in BuildAR where I can create display the statue in its new architectural environments.... Ill be able to show the different spaces that I created using different makers. I would also like to try and attempt to create some form of animation which the sculpture can interact with (this I am still deciding on). Different markers will be created in order to represent the modeled sculpture in different spaces and form.

Baking to textures


Assessment Criteria
Have thought and care been invested into all aspects of the design process in context to the
technology you have experimented with throughout the course, including a noticeable attempt to
engage with the technology in a creative way.

Blog: Is your blog neatly laid out and easy to follow, with all task requirements posted to
your blog?

Images: Are your images of an acceptable quality, showing thought and consideration to
image selection and camera framing? Are all images not your own referenced
correctly?

Text: Is any text you have written concise and informative? Is the text significant to
your project, outlining aspects of your process that may not be immediately
apparent through visual material?

Installation: Does your installation work? Is there a novel approach to the interaction between
real life and digital content?



Final Submission 
For the submission requirements I am going to stick with requirements outlined in the "Standard" project brief.

- Supporting sketches of my design ideas in progress. These should be a continuing exercise used to help with my design process.
- Visual References ( around 10 images/videos on blog, with references)
- Minimum of 200 words describing my project. This should read like a gallery installation text.
- Minimum of 6 high quality images, showing renders/comparisons of my photogrammettry and also of my different designed spaces.
- Physical models/system to base my AR on – could be a 3D printed model
- Minimum 1 x 30‐60 second video (polished, and with sound), showing the interactive elements of my project in a creative way.
- Minimum of 4 AR Markers – with different related models/content based on each marker. 

No comments: